Re: Jaz Drive on Parallel Port

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 02:24:00PM +0000, David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Eric G . Miller (egm2@jps.net):
> > Anybody have experience using a Jaz drive on a parallel port.  I don't
> > have a SCSI card so it has to be ||-port.  The Jaz HOWTO only talks
> > about SCSI.  I'm guessing I need SCSI support compiled, but not sure
> > what else.
>
> I would imagine one treats it exactly like a parallel port Zip drive.
> i.e. 2.2.x: ppa needs scsi_mod and parport
>      2.0.x: ppa needs scsi_mod

Just a note to everyone.  With SCSI support, parport_pc, and ppa in a
2.2.14 kernel -- I get a kernel OOPS.  Bad juju!  It appears the error
occurs when the SCSI system tries to read the disk.  It times out, then
tries to dereference a NULL pointer and kablooey!.  (Note: same outcome
with gcc-2.95 and gcc-2.7.3).  Perhaps those subtle SCSI bugs haven't
all been fixed in this version.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |