KDE stuff under other desktops (and desktop recommendations)

I want to get right into customising this thing (currently ranked as
newbie). So I installed the Afterstep desktop instead of KDE. Kinda nice, in
many ways.

But I miss some of the nice little apps from my Corel KDE stuff.

I've found that I can fire up the file browser by executing CorelExplorer.
But it lets me look at files but not, for example, open them.

And I cannot, for the life of me, work out where to find all the little KDE
things I was using.

So: how do I go about getting them to run under Afterstep.

And also, I was hoping that those who have tried a bunch of different
desktops would summarise why you settled on the desktop you prefer.
Advantages and disadvantages of the varoius desktops you've tried.

TIA