Re: 2.0.36 SMP

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Jack Morgan wrote:

yojack >I have an Abit BP6 board with two celron 400mhz and I want to do SMP and
yojack >possible overclocking. I am planning to do a clean install of GNU Debian 2.1
yojack >(slink) Advice, links and comments, please : -)
yojack >

I would STRONGLY suggest AGAINST the BP6 if you are making a machine to do
work that requires uptime, if its just a home machine and you dont mind
random lockups then BP6 is fine.  Overclocking a dual processor machine is
also dangerous, especially on the BP6 as it adds more stress to an already
overstressed board.  It can be done, i suggest if you go with the BP6
install it as quickly as possible and do VERY intense burnin tests (i
suggest using the 2.2.10 kernel to start, move to 2.2.14 lateron if you
like).

If you..

have 64MB of ram = run 6 copies of seti@home on different VTs (or in
screens)

have 128MB of ram = run 10 copies of seti@home on different VTs

use lm_sensors to monitor CPU temp, i also suggest against using the stock
intel fans go with FDP32s (or is it FEP32 i forget which) also put
heatsink grease and a fan on the i440BX chip on the board and deck the
machine out with high speed fans. for the test i also suggest not using
the DMA66 controller if you are IDE (my BP6 is full scsi) after the test
go ahead and use it.  The intel fans made my BP6 with 466Mhz cpus go to
50C, now my CPUs with FDP(or FEP?)32 fans are ~27-33C.  Although i havent
run seti@home in a few months.

Let the machine run for 3 days, if it is still going (and processing the
seti data) then the machine can be declared "a hell of a lot more stable
then mine" :)  my machine would lockup in ~20 minutes.  i discovered this
well after my warranty expired, i spent over a month troubleshooting my
machine, some people have good boards, i suppose i could go buy a new BP6
and run more tests on it and return if needed, but i have little hope that
i would find a good one.

bottom line though is, run very intensive I/O and CPU tests on it for an
extended period before deciding that the board is good.

nate