Prospective Newbie

(My state: I've used computers for 30 years, but no Intel machines for
10 [so I don't know modern hardware & interfaces], and Linux never.)

I'd like to install Linux (dip toe in water!) on an ancient Zeos machine
(AMD 386DX, 6Mb RAM, 120Mb disk). However, this machine has no CD drive,
and no net connection yet.

1) Is it reasonable to try to install a beginner's system on this
machine from floppies?

2) Is there a way to do so with only a Mac connection to the net for
downloading the disk images? (The problem: when a Mac writes or even
reads an "IBM" floppy, it puts on a couple of hidden files that, though
just 1k, make a file like "base14-1.bin" not fit.)

3) If the floppy idea is crazy, should I pay MEI-Micro $25 for an EIDE
controller and $40 for a CD drive?

Sorry for numskull questions; I promise to get smarter if I can get
Linux going.

Charles Hartman
Poet in Residence, Connecticut College
cohar@conncoll.edu