Re: Prospective Newbie

Charles O. Hartman said:
> (My state: I've used computers for 30 years, but no Intel machines for
> 10 [so I don't know modern hardware & interfaces], and Linux never.)

Welcome!

> I'd like to install Linux (dip toe in water!) on an ancient Zeos machine
> (AMD 386DX, 6Mb RAM, 120Mb disk). However, this machine has no CD drive,
> and no net connection yet.

Based on my own experience with installing Linux on a 386 a few years back, I
have one warning:  You'll need a lot of patience.  A lot of Linux device
configuration is done by recompiling the kernel, which can take the better
part of a day (and that's calendar day, not work day).

If you can get your hands on a faster machine, I highly recommend it.  Last
month, I was able to get a Pentium 100 for free - the local university was
throwing it away and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.
(My local Linux users' group, TCLUG, has someone mention that they're getting
rid of some old hardware on our mailing list every week or two.  If there's a
LUG in your area, I'm sure they'd be a good source for 486 and early Pentium
hardware.)

> 1) Is it reasonable to try to install a beginner's system on this
> machine from floppies?

Definitely, assuming you've got a way to create those floppies in a
reasonable amount of time.

> 2) Is there a way to do so with only a Mac connection to the net for
> downloading the disk images? (The problem: when a Mac writes or even
> reads an "IBM" floppy, it puts on a couple of hidden files that, though
> just 1k, make a file like "base14-1.bin" not fit.)

That could be tricky...

> 3) If the floppy idea is crazy, should I pay MEI-Micro $25 for an EIDE
> controller and $40 for a CD drive?

Those are definitely reasonable prices, and it's a lot saner than doing an
install from floppies.  Again, though, I'd suggest first seeing if you can
find an early Pentium that someone is throwing out.  It might already have a
CD installed and if it doesn't, it's probably got a spare IDE connection
available, so you'd only need to buy the CDROM drive.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+