Re: USR modem & ZIP drive questions

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> --- Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried running "irqtune" from the hwtools package?
>
> Nope, I just stumbled upon irqtune when reading the IPmasq (or was it diald?
> ;) HOWTO yesterday. I'll try it next weekend.
>
> > > 1. I have a USR V90 56k modem. If I let it connect at anything above
> > > 33600, the RX rate drops drastically - to around 1kB/s. Any suggestions?
>
> But, do you think it will also help with this problem? It also shows up with
> virtually no load...

Try doing a large zmodem download with minicom, if you get CRC
errors when the HD is active then irqtune should fix it up.

I had an 8MHz box with 4M RAM (the HD was always active ;) and couldn't
transfer files at anything over 2400 bps, it died and I picked up a
25MHz box which showed the same problem at 9600 bps... running irqtune
fixed it so that I could connect at 14.4 kbps without any errors.  When
I plugged in a 28.8 kbps modem the problem returned until I told irqtune
to optimize for the IRQ used by the new modem.  At no time did I have
any IRQ conflicts, so it must be that the priority (what irqtune fiddles
with) mattered.

It's worth a try and is very simple to do.  Install hwtools, edit
/etc/rc.boot/hwtools so that it optimizes for the IRQ your serial port
uses, then execute the script (no need to reboot). See if it worked by
going online and checking the transfer rate.

- Bruce