portmap question

I can't seem to figure out how to keep portmap from starting when I
reboot. I've changed all references to portmap in the rc*.d
directories from the S##portmap form to a K##portmap form. That
doesn't seem to keep the portmapper from starting.

I have to kill it each time I reboot. Just in case I forget though,
I've added the following to my /etc/hosts/deny file:

  portmap: ALL: (/usr/sbin/safe_finger -l @%h | mail root) &

and I've removed the various NFS-related packages.

I read a few solutions to this problem in the archives, and they
range from renaming the portmap binary to editing the script in
/etc/init.d. I didn't want to resort to these little hacks. Is there
a way to keep it from starting in the first place?

Also, why is portmap included in the netbase package anyway?

tia...

 ) Mark Wagnon      ) mwagnon1@home.com      )
(  Chula Vista, CA (  wagnon@rohan.sdsu.edu (