Re: Setting up 20 equal linux boxes -- More questions

hi ya

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 10:34:02PM +0100, Konrad Mierendorff wrote:
> Thanks for replies, I haven't been able to do a "real-life" test as the
> computers didn't arrive yet. In the meantime I got some remarks here
> which result in more questions.
>
> I got a reply the is not on the list from Steve Stancliff
> <stanclif@mil.ufl.edu>, he says:
>
> > As others mentioned, NFS is the way to mount the
> > homes from the fileserver.  I advise not using
> > autofs for mounting the homes, just mount them
> > in fstab.  Autofs is very flaky.
>
> Could anyone comment on this and mention the pros and cons of both
> solutions?
> Why is autofs flaky?

autofs has minimal functionality to do simple/straight forwward
automounting... amd on the other hand has tons of features and options

good thing about autofs is it's part of the kernel...
and is simple to setup....

	http://www.linux-consulting.com/Amd_AutoFS/autofs-HOWTO.html

for 20 machines....autofs might be a good/simple/small/fast/reliable
solution...

a few years ago...i swapped out amd and used autofs...been using
it ever since..

> If you there are HOWTOs, FAQs, manuals or other resources on the web
> that answer all these question, please tell me!

have fun linuxing
alvin