keymaps directory

In what directory is the keymap file that is loaded at boot?  Something odd
has happened to my computer a couple of times where some different keymap
than US becomes my keyboard at boot and my 'a' key is 'q' and a lot of other
keys change as well.  I can type 'loadkeys -d' and load the defualt but last
time I found the file and replaced it with the default keymap.gz and that
fixed the problem.  I have forgotten where I found that file.

Lance