Re: Computer won't start

On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 05:59:18PM -0500, Bart Szyszka wrote
> Hi,
>
> I've been having problems in both Debian and Windows,
> so I'm not sure which one could be causing this (probably
> Windows?), but when I turn on my computer right now, it
> doesn't start. I get absolutely nothing on my screen except
> the default thing that shows up on the monitor if the computer
> is turned off and on the older monitor I tried it with it's
> just a blank blank space. I hear a little ticking like it's
> doing something, but that doesn't last long because when I
> put a boot disk in it doesn't go far enough to be trying to
> boot of the harddrive/floppy/cdrom. I've tried replacing the
> graphics card with a different one so it doesn't look like that's
> the problem. My guess is that this is a BIOS problem. Any ideas?
> Could a (Windows?) virus have caused this? Is the bios (I have
> an AMIBIOS in that computer) replacable? Easily? Inexpenssively?
> I'd appreciate some help with this. I'm using a very old computer
> right now with a 486 that can barely handle this telnet prompt
> in Win95 (I install Debian off the harddrive and don't have
> anything downloaded for it in this computer for me to be able to
> set it up easily), BTW. I'd appreciate some advice (in private
> since this might not be specific to Debian?).

Did you remove and replace hard drive cables?  On many
PCs, this is what you get if an IDE cable is installed
backwards; try removing them both and see if that helps -
if so, connect them back one at a time and check after
each.  Alternatively, try using a different slot for
your video card - the one you're using may be bad/dirty.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au