Slow NFS or slow NIC?

Now that I've two machines I'm finally able to experience the full benefits
of Debian GNU/Linux. Reading all I could find on the subject on the HAMM-cd's
I managed to get nfs and nis working, exported /home and did some tests.

using ncftp I get the expected 1.0+MBs transfer copying a large file into
/dev/null. Quite reasonable on a 10Mbs ethernet considering ftp and tcp each
adding their things. But if I do dd -if=/home/biggy of=/dev/null it takes
10 times more then doing it locally and only fills a little more than
half the ethernet bandwith! how come? would it help to switch to 100Mbs
Ethernet? or has nfs so much overhead (but ftp does okee)? or is the 486
the culprit?

vvs: AMD K6-2 at 300 Mhz
ego: 486DX at 133Mhz
lan: NE2000 10Mbs Ethernet
nfs: exported vvs:/home to mount on ego:/home with r/wsize=8192

read-test: time dd if=/home/biggy of=/dev/null bs=16k count=4096

results:  without nfs  | with nfs throwing 64MB into the bitbucket
    ego:      35s      |   100s  (5.12Mbs!)
    vvs:      10s

This got me puzzled, any pointers much appreciated.
(Besides what is the Debian way of sharing /usr ed on a local lan?)

--
groetjes, carel