Re: Can't boot from a second harddrive (repost)

You did run /sbin/lilo after making *any* edits to your lilo.conf right?

Also, how had you booted when you were making those edits?  If /dev/hdc1
was not your root partition at the time (for example, if you had booted
off a floppy), I wonder if the wrong "lilo.conf" was read to write your
boot sector.  If this is the case, try it again but specify the lilo.conf
with the -C parameter:

lilo -C /mnt/disk2/etc/lilo.conf

for example.

Not sure how much help this will really be, but here's some stuff from
/usr/doc/lilo/Manual.tar.gz:

LILO start message
- - - - - - - - -

When LILO loads itself, it displays the word "LILO". Each letter is
printed
before or after performing some specific action. If LILO fails at some
point, the letters printed so far can be used to identify the
problem. This
is described in more detail in the technical overview.

Note that some hex digits may be inserted after the first "L" if a
transient disk problem occurs. Unless LILO stops at that point, generating
an endless stream of error codes, such hex digits do not indicate a severe
problem.

  (<nothing>)  No part of LILO has been loaded. LILO either isn't
installed
    or the partition on which its boot sector is located isn't active.
   L <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been loaded and
started,
    but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error
    codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk error
    codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a
geometry
    mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk geometry").
   LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
    loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
    installer.
   LIL   The second stage boot loader has been started, but it can't load
    the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by a
    media failure or by a geometry mismatch.
   LIL?   The second stage boot loader has been loaded at an incorrect
    address. This is typically caused by a subtle geometry mismatch or by
    moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.
   LIL-   The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be caused by a
    geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/map without running the map
    installer.
   LILO   All parts of LILO have been successfully loaded.