Re: Can't boot from a second harddrive (repost)

Jim B <jamesb-debian@alongtheway.com> writes:

> You did run /sbin/lilo after making *any* edits to your lilo.conf right?
Yes, I did.

> Also, how had you booted when you were making those edits?  If /dev/hdc1
> was not your root partition at the time (for example, if you had booted
> off a floppy), I wonder if the wrong "lilo.conf" was read to write your
> boot sector.  If this is the case, try it again but specify the lilo.conf
> with the -C parameter:
> lilo -C /mnt/disk2/etc/lilo.conf
I tried all kinds of things, including manually specifying config
file. I do boot off floppy (takes about 7 minutes to boot), but the
root file system is /dev/hdc1. I tried increasing verbosity level of
lilo to 5, and then run "lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf". It printed all kinds
of stuff, but no warnings or error messages (apart from the warnning
that /dev/hdc is not the first harddrive). "lilo -q" also doesn't
yield in anything interesting (as far as I can tell). Would there be
any use in me posting those outputs (they are lengthy)?

>    LI   The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage boot
>     loader, but has failed to execute it. This can either be caused by a
>     geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
>     installer.

Yeah, I skimmed thru the whole manual. This explanation is not very
helpful to me, unfortunately. Could anyone interpret what it means in
simpler terms? What are possible causes of this?

p.s. I just attempted to boot kernel from /dev/hda4, but specify
/dev/hdc1 as root partition (lilo works in my slink installation) by
modifying slink's lilo.conf thusly:
,----
| boot=/dev/hda4
| root=/dev/hda4
| install=/boot/boot.b
| map=/boot/map
| delay=200
|
| image = /zImage
|   label = linux
|   read-only
|
| image = /zImage
|   label = potato
|   root = /dev/hdc1
`----

Guess what! Lilo stopped working from /dev/hda4 too!!! It won't give
me a boot prompt (hangs at "LI" just like when running off
/dev/hdc1). What gives? It used to work perfectly w/o the second boot
option.

Thanks again!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who