Can't boot from a second harddrive (repost)

I'm having problems booting into a fresh installation of potato in my
second harddrive. The installation is on /dev/hdc with root in
/dev/hdc1.

Lilo displays "LI" and dies there. I tried adding "linear" to
lilo.conf (that helped me once on another computer), but that didn't
help. My setup looks sane to me... I really need some fresh ideas as
to what is wrong.

I use a third-party multibooter from /dev/hda's MBR. It picks up linux
installation in /dev/hdc1, and starts lilo... then lilo stops at
"LI".

I also have a working slink installation in /dev/hda4, so I tried to
use its lilo to boot my potato installation. I added
,----
| other = /dev/hdc1
|   label = potato
`----
and got *exactly* the same results as with the multibooter ("LI" and
nothing else). This makes me think that the problem is with lilo
config in my potato installation.

I need help!!! ;^) Can't boot my custom kernel. I would also
appreciate any workaround recipes, such as booting my current kernel
from a floppy or booting it from my functional slink installation in
/dev/hda4.

,----[ lilo.conf ]
| boot=/dev/hdc1
| root=/dev/hdc1
| install=/boot/boot.b
| map=/boot/map
| delay=200
| vga=normal
| verbose=5
|
| image=/vmlinuz
| 	  label=default
| 	  read-only
|
| image = /zImage
|   label = linux
|   read-only
`----

Thanks for any input!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who