Re: [Off Topic] Celeron 366 or 400 MHz, 64+ MB RAM?

> I'm looking into buying a computer with either a 366 or 400MHz Celeron
> processor.  It has an L2 cache size of 128 Kb.  I've read somewhere that
> an L2 cache under something like 512 kb, will slow down your computer if
> there is more than 64 MB of RAM added.

An old wives tale from the days of the Pentium, so to speak.  My computer
(with a Celeron 300 & 128k L2 cache) actually sped up going from 64MB to
128MB of RAM.

> On the other hand I've read that this isn't a problem for PII
> processors and above, even if the cache is smaller than 512 kb.

For 686 generation processors (PPro, PII, Celeron, etc) it's not an issue.
With Pentiums it was.

> I've searched the archives and looked around on the net and can't nail
> this one down.  Can I use more than 64 MB with this processor/L2 cache
> combination?

Certainly.  I do.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein