Re: fetchmail and multiple users in one POP3 box

*- On  9 Jan, hypnos wrote about "Re: fetchmail and multiple users in one POP3 box"
> On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Jeff Flowers wrote:
>
>> Can this command be run everytime that I connect to the internet?
>
> Yep, put that stuff (that I snipped) into .fetchmailrc
> in your home directory, and add something like this
> to your /etc/ppp/ip-up
>
> fetchmail -f /home/jeff/.fetchmailrc
>
> That will run fetchmail once each time you connect,
> to have it keep checking mail while you're online,
> add '-d xxx' to the command above.  'xxx' is the
> interval (in seconds) between mail checks.  For
> example, -d 600 will call fetchmail once every 10
> minutes.  If you use the -d option, you will want
> to put "fetchmail -q" in your /etc/ppp/ip-down file.
> to stop it when you disconnect.

The Debian fetchmail maintainer has included two scripts, fetchmail-up
and fetchmail-down in the /usr/doc/fetchmail directory to place in the
appropriate directories of /etc/ppp/ip-up.d and /etc/ppp/ip-down.d. Just
remember that ppp runs all its scripts as root so be careful with
permissions and things that you do in your scripts. Some people prefer to
use su to change the user away from root for these tasks for security
reasons.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.