Re: Poor networking performance

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, aphro wrote:

 : i have rt8139 card in a caldera box and a eepro100 in a debian box on a
 : 10/100 switch, and i get about 3.4MB/s, i am quite confident the
 : bottleneck is the IDE drive on the caldera box in my case.

While I'm sure that in your case the IDE subsystem is your bottleneck,
it's generally acknowledged that the rtl8139 cards aren't a prime
example of excellent NIC design (read the driver source once to get the
author's opinions on the buffer design).

Having said that I've built an IP masq box with two rtl8139 cards and
performance is satisfactory.  I prefer the tulip cards though; the
Netgear cards are cheap and (so far) dependable).

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD