Manpage problems ?

Hello,

My manpages seemed to be working but I recently installed a deb package
with dpkg, the man pages were installed in the right place but
the command  "man command"  informs me that, that particular  man page is not
available. It seems that only an index is being used but there is no
default man directory search to determine if that man page exists. I set
the $MANPATH but it makes no difference. Other man pages are called up with
"man command", if that manpage has never been called by man a file is
created in the catman directories.

                                                    Any help appreciated
                                                    Christopher Mosley