Interesting situation.

Running Slink with 2.2.13 kernel on a P200MMX.

I compiled the modules for my SB64AWE into the kernel (OSS Free) and they
work fine. Now when I cat something (au, wav or mp3) into /dev/audio or
/dev/dsp there is noise coming out of the speakers. Line-in and CD also
work great. However, when I use a program like freeamp, kde media player,
etc. nothing can be heard.

Questions:
1) How do you know what device a program pipes it's output to?
2) How can you change that?
3) Can you make global settings, so that e.g. all wav file are send to
/dev/audio regardless of what program you use to play it with?
4) How can you see what the hardware device is behind each device?

Basically I want to know how to track an information stream in order to
solve a problem like the one above. Something similar to electronics, where
you work your way back from speaker, via amp, tuner to antenna, in case of
a radio.

Hans