Re: Interesting situation.

Hans said:
> Questions:
> 1) How do you know what device a program pipes it's output to?

lsof | grep <programname>

> 2) How can you change that?

Depends on the program.

> 3) Can you make global settings, so that e.g. all wav file are send to
> /dev/audio regardless of what program you use to play it with?

GNOME or KDE's integration features _might_ allow this to be done with
compliant applications, but in general, I doubt it.

> 4) How can you see what the hardware device is behind each device?

dmesg will give you some devices, but not all of them.  You can probably get
more information by poking around in /proc.  On this system, for instance,
dmesg includes information about my sound card's IRQ/DMA/etc. allocations,
but no device identifiers.  cat /dev/sndstat (as root) or cat /proc/sound (as
anyone), however, gives me a list of audio devices, although it only lists
the device numbers, so you have to know whether device 0 of a certain type is
/dev/audio0, /dev/dsp0, /dev/mixer0, etc.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+