Re: Fetchmail and local domains

Jonathan Markevich said:
> Is there some other way?

How I handled it (given that I'm only dealing with 1 ISP, but I've had to
send mail to other users of that ISP):

In /etc/exim.conf set

qualify_domain = usinternet.com
qualify_recipient = localhost
local_domains = localhost:<internal names of all machines on my network>

Do _not_ include your ISP under local_domains.

Removing the ISP from local_domains prevents exim from recognizing the ISP as
a local address, so it asks another server to handle the mail for it,
resulting in correct delivery.

qualify_domain is used for unqualified sender addresses, so when I send mail
as esper, it turns into esper@usinternet.com.

qualify_recipient is normally blank, causing it to default to being the same
as qualify_domain.  Setting it to localhost will cause mail to esper to
become esper@localhost, localhost is in local_domains, so exim delivers it.
(This isn't strictly necessary, but without it, sending mail from one account
on your machine to another would force the mail to be routed through your
ISP's mail server.  And if something sent mail to (unqualified) root, exim
would turn that into root@ISP instead of root@localhost...)

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+