Re: Vera and SIOCADDRT - separate subjects

John wrote:

> on 05 Jan 100, Howard Mann wrote...
>

> >> 2. For some time now when booting, I get the message
> >>     'SIOCADDRT - invalid argument'. It appears to cause
> >>     no problem - nevertheless, I'd like to understand exactly
> >>     what is referred to and make any correction needed.
> >>     So far I've found no reference to meaning - there have
> >>     been postings recently on the problem, but no explanation
> >>     of what SIOCADDRT means. Can anyone enlighten me
> >>     please?
> >

> Any chance of letting me know what SIOCADDRT actually means
> (assuming it won't be self-evident when I check out the site you
> have kindly referred me to).

The message comes from the fact that the 2.2.x kernels automatically add
a route to your routing table when an interfase is created with
ifconfig. The 2.0.x kernels did not do this. For example

	ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

will add a route the same as though you typed

	route add net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0

You will find in /etc/init.d/network a line that looks like that. Be
sure its not the one refering to a default gateway (route add default gw
). That will be the culprit. It tries to add a route that already
exists, hence the error as describe at that URL Howard offered.

If you do not plan on using the 2.0.x kernels anymore, you can safely
remove it. Otherwise, there is no harm by keeping it there.

Hope this helps,
--
Paul Miller
pmiller@unt.edu

NRL Administrator http://www.nrl.csci.unt.edu
Talons Alumni http://orgs.unt.edu/talons

Where do all the bits go when the computer is done with them?