Re: Vera and SIOCADDRT - separate subjects

on 05 Jan 100, Howard Mann wrote...

>> 2. For some time now when booting, I get the message
>>     'SIOCADDRT - invalid argument'. It appears to cause
>>     no problem - nevertheless, I'd like to understand exactly
>>     what is referred to and make any correction needed.
>>     So far I've found no reference to meaning - there have
>>     been postings recently on the problem, but no explanation
>>     of what SIOCADDRT means. Can anyone enlighten me
>>     please?
>
>This item provides an explanation :
>
>http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9810.3/0179.html
>
>Check your /etc/init.d/network file. You may want to post it here.
>
>What "routing" commands do you have on your network interfaces?
>
>Cheers,    Howard Mann.

Many thanks for your response, Howard. Immediately after posting, I realised
I'd given no details of my setup.

I'm running Slink on a stand alone machine and early in November I
managed to upgrade the kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.1. It is from this time
that the SIOCADDRT message originates. You indicate it relates to
"routing"/network interfaces and I see from my notes that in
compiling 2.2.1 for some reason I enabled 'Network block device
support', 'Network device support' and 'Kernel/User netlink socket'
(incl 'routing messages' and 'Netlink device emulation'). I'll have to
look further back to find why I did so (I know I was having difficulty
with connecting to my ISP). Of course I have no network cards, so
presumably some are being looked for.

You will gather that I'm a blundering novice (but a keen one). I'm
trying to learn, but there's so much to take on board. Additionally,
as I have RedHat and SuSE fully operational, when I reach a block
with Debian, I tend to use one of them whilst trying to 'solve' the
problem - the result is I read too much and go into byeways and
generally 'slack-off'. (I downloaded kernel-source 2.2.13 nearly
a month ago and haven't yet compiled it because I'm trying to
learn more about it than I'm capable of doing!!).

Any chance of letting me know what SIOCADDRT actually means
(assuming it won't be self-evident when I check out the site you
have kindly referred me to).

Incidentally, I've found Vera - its with the other info files but when
I launch info it says it hasn't got it. There's no refernce there to
SIOCADDRT.

Again thanks,
John.