Re: PPP, CDROM, and Floppy Questions

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 12:22:26PM -0800, AU,SCOTT CHUONG wrote:
...snip...
> 1. PPP
> After running pppconfig to setup a connection to my ISP, I noticed I can
> initiate the modem to dial but consequently it simply hangs up. I went to
> my 2nd virtual console and issued: cat /dev/ttyS2 (my modem) to see what
> input was being obtained and noticed the modem hangs up right around the
> time the opening page of the ISP is being brought up (I see the "Welcome
> to" then the modem disconnects). Is this because the chat script has some
> form of timeout (ie: if the next expected line: sername, is not received,
> does the modem hangup)? On the ppp.log, I see the modem remark: alarm,
> then remark: fail.

as someone else mentioned in the last day or so, try "minicom -s" to set
the serial lines up fine.

> 2. CDROM
> I've gotten a hold of an old 2X CDROM and a Sound Blaster 16 board. The
> CDROM connects through the SB so I chose the SB Pro option in the modconf
> program to install the CD. I see the CD drive being accessed (the led
> lights up) and modconfig states the installation was successful.
> Unfortunately, when I reboot and go to /dev, I see no form of CDROM device
> that I can mount. The installation mentions a sbpcd device and the
> /var/devices list mentions a sbpcd device but no form of this device
> exists in the /dev directory.  Have I missed a step or did the
> installation actually fail?

if this is an ATAPI drive on a SB card, then it will mount up as
/dev/hde, but you don't have a spot for it yet.

Try: cd /dev
     ./MAKDEV hde

then edit /etc/fstab appropriately.

> 3. Floppy Disk
> After mounting my floppy disk drive (1.44 drive), I note that issuing the
> mount command shows the drive can read msdos diskettes. Unfortunately,
> when I attempt to view the contents of a msdos diskette (using ls or dir),
> I get garbage which seems to be the parts of a Microsoft Word document
> that I know resides on the diskette. Have I done something wrong or missed
> invoking an option?

try: man mtools

Hope that helps.

--