PPP, CDROM, and Floppy Questions

I've finally managed to install Debian 2.1 from floppy disks using images
downloaded from the Debian Website.  Being a newbie to Linux, I have some
problems I cannot seem to resolve.  I've gone through the any help files I
could find as well as Debian mail Archives to no avail.  Here's
the list (forgive the lengthiness):

1. PPP
After running pppconfig to setup a connection to my ISP, I noticed I can
initiate the modem to dial but consequently it simply hangs up. I went to
my 2nd virtual console and issued: cat /dev/ttyS2 (my modem) to see what
input was being obtained and noticed the modem hangs up right around the
time the opening page of the ISP is being brought up (I see the "Welcome
to" then the modem disconnects). Is this because the chat script has some
form of timeout (ie: if the next expected line: sername, is not received,
does the modem hangup)? On the ppp.log, I see the modem remark: alarm,
then remark: fail.

2. CDROM
I've gotten a hold of an old 2X CDROM and a Sound Blaster 16 board. The
CDROM connects through the SB so I chose the SB Pro option in the modconf
program to install the CD. I see the CD drive being accessed (the led
lights up) and modconfig states the installation was successful.
Unfortunately, when I reboot and go to /dev, I see no form of CDROM device
that I can mount. The installation mentions a sbpcd device and the
/var/devices list mentions a sbpcd device but no form of this device
exists in the /dev directory.  Have I missed a step or did the
installation actually fail?

3. Floppy Disk
After mounting my floppy disk drive (1.44 drive), I note that issuing the
mount command shows the drive can read msdos diskettes. Unfortunately,
when I attempt to view the contents of a msdos diskette (using ls or dir),
I get garbage which seems to be the parts of a Microsoft Word document
that I know resides on the diskette. Have I done something wrong or missed
invoking an option?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Scott Au
sau@ucla.edu