PPP and cdparanoia

I've noticed that if my machine is connected to the Internet using
PPP, and I start to rip a CD using grip or cdparanoia (both use
libcdparanoia), the PPP link heavily drops packets and often the line
drops. This is A Bad Thing. It happens even wen cdparanoia is set to
priority 20 (top shows that this is the case and it's not just
pretending).

I'm using kernel 2.2.14 and the machine is a PII-400 with 128MB of RAM
and an ATAPI CDROM drive.

Can this be fixed by changing some configuration? Is it a
bug/misfeature in the kernel, or something like that? I haven't
tested it on my SCSI machine yet: possibly the IDE PIO stuff is the
problem.

Could someone test this on their machine for me and see if it occurs?
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                                    alisdair@jml.net
[the day is done but i'm having fun i think i'm dumb maybe just happy]