Re: education warehouse

On Wed, Jan 05, 2000 at 07:20:12AM -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> > represent intellectual property.  There's far more to this than simply
> having
> > the tools to do the recording (or whatever).
>
> People willing to do it will by definition desire to give it away. I
> know that there is the concept of  intellectual property, but nobody can
> own thoughts. It is a fiction of human mind. Same mind that has sold

The specific expression of one's thoughts is what I refer to here.  There
are many textbooks from which to choose...

There is great difficulty in proving efficacy of long-distance learning.
Especially in the sciences, where the lab experience is an essential
part of the class.  That requires a physical presence.

I have no difficulties with your general ideas.  But I would never (as a
manager in industrial science) hire someone coming through a virtual
institution who claims to know chemistry, but has never laid hands on an
Erlenmeyer (much less anything else).  From the other end, I would not
like to be associated with the person making such claims as the source of
their knowledge unless I knew that they had had such direct experiences.

> > ???  I don't believe I have forgotten the reason I teach.  I don't
> think
> that
> > the dramatic increase in the cost of higher education is related to
> that.
>
> To what then but to greed? Are you saying that the work an administrator
> does grants what he earns?

I don't speak for administrators.  Nor did I go into teaching for the money.
THAT would have been My mistake!  ;-)   But given the current state of
economic affairs in the world, one generally needs a paying job to get by
with a family (within the US at least).  My point was related to the fact
that my salary has little to do with the rise in costs.

> I think you can not sincerely answer yes, unless you are one such and
> your personal comfort blinds reality.
> Same applies to other participant parties.

??? I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here, but I would say that
applying the label "greed" to financial issues is showing some blindness to
the complexities of living in a non-Star Trek-based world.  It certainly
belongs, but I don't think it is an umbrella over all else.

> > Again, one has a choice of institutions/prices, too.
>
>  That is not true. I think you know it.

Sorry but this makes no sense to me.  There Are many choices of places to
go (at least within the US.  I cannot speak for other countries, but this
represents my reality.).  Each of these has its own price.

Kenward Vaughan

ps. I'm more than happy to continue this discussion with you, but believe it
would be more appropriate to carry it on off-list now.