Boot problem on new computer

Hello,

I'm in a desperate need of assistence. I just a got my new computer
and I'm trying to install Debian 2.0 on it (to be upgraded to potato after
initial install). The problem is that it won't boot during the installation
process.

The last thing printed is "md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAC_REAL=8". Then it
hangs. CTRL+ALT+DELETE doesn't work, and neither does a soft power-off.
PnP is disabled ("PnP aware OS: no" in the BIOS) and powermanagement is
also disabled.

It's an Athlon 500 with a Diamond Viper AGP graphics card. The CD-ROM
is a HP CD-Writer Plus (8200-series). Could the CD-ROM be the problem
(because it's also a Writer)? It *is* recognized during boot.

Kernvel version: 2.0.36

Thank you,

--
/ Peter Schuller