Re: python startup files

I dunno about .pythonrc.py. The docs I read said to put startup code in
~/.python-startup.py and this is what I use successfully. In order to modify python's
search path from python code you just need to manipulate the sys.path list, eg.:

import sys

sys.path.append('path-to-append')

In order to augment the python search path from an environment variable just set
PYTHONPATH (colon-separated list just as the PATH variable). This is in the man page.
Did you read the fine manual?