Re: man -k doesn't work

On 5/1/2000 Brian J. Stults wrote:

It turns out mandb is failing.  When I run mandb as root I get this:

Processing manual pages under /usr/man...
Updating index cache for path `/usr/man'. Wait...mandb: can't create a
temporary filename: Permission denied

I don't know enough about how mandb works (even after reading the
manpage and documentation) to know why this is happening.  Any ideas?

check permissions on /tmp mandb is suid man so it does not have root privileges, however one annoying thing i have found is it creates a temp file but for some reason it gets owned by root so when it goes to delete it it gets a operation not permitted (because /tmp has the sticky bit) it seems to work better if you use sudo -u man mandb instead <shrug>

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/