python startup files

According to some python documentation I have read I should put
commands that I want executed in every interactive python session into
the file `~/.pythonrc.py'.  I have done that but these commands do not
seem to be executed when I start python on a Debian GNU/Linux 2.1
system with
||/ Name            Version        Description
ii  python-base     1.5.1-7        An interactive object-oriented scripting lan

Is there another convention for python startup with this package?

Also, what is the recommended form for adding to the python search
path?  I believe there is an environment variable to set.

Please cc: me on replies.  I am unable to keep up with the amount of
traffic on this list.