Re: Netscape Communicator 4.7 dies silently.

Wayne Topa wrote:

>         Subject: Netscape Communicator 4.7 dies silently.
>         Date: Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 05:19:56PM -0500

> Quoting Todd Suess(tsuess@tsuess.evcom.net):
> >| Greetings all,
> >|
> >| Anyone else noticed that at times Communicator will just die silently while
> >| minimized, leaving no error messages, etc?  I usually have about 5 navigator
> >| windows open to various sites and check and referesh them regularly
> >| (I am using potato, XFree 3.3.5, and Kde 1.1.2), but sometimes I will pull up
> >| my window list and all occurances of Communicator will be closed with no
> >| errors showing.  Just curious if anyone else has seen this behaviour and if
> >| there is any workaround/fix for it.  I checked memory to see if that might be an
> >| issue and while physical memory was a little low I still had plenty of swap
> >| space left.
>
> Yes, just today, I had that happen 4 times.  I had also noticed that
> everything seemed a bit slower then usual, and had been getting that
> way for a few weeks now.  Keyboard repeats, changing consoles/or X
> screens, etc., all slowed down.  As I hadn't rebooted for a few months
> I decided that I would try it just to see what would happen.

I have been having netscape silently die every day or so.  Everything
else has been running just fine though - I haven't noticed any other
slowdowns.

Quitting netscape, rm -fr ~/.netscape/cache/* and restarting netscape
seems to have fixed the problem.  Going into preferences and erasing the
disk cache from inside netscape does not seem to clear things up btw.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb@creol.ucf.edu>
CREOL System Administrator

Social graces are the packet headers of everyday life.