Re: permanently turning on gcc Pentium optimization

"Dwayne C . Litzenberger" wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 03:45:30AM +0000, Paul J. Keenan wrote:
> > To permanently turn on pentium optimizations, change
> > your /usr/lib/gcc-lib/2.92.2/specs (or similar) from
> >
> > *cc1:
> > %(cc1_cpu) %{profile:-p}
> >
> > *cc1:
> > %(cc1_cpu) %{profile:-p} -march=i586
> >
> > As others have pointed out, the gains may be limited
> > with respect to the amount of work you do recompiling,
> > but I'm of the opinion that even of you get a 1% gain
> > then it (shouldn't) do any harm, so why not ?
> >

> Well don't do it if you're a package maintainer.  On many CPUs the
> "optimisations" actually slow things down, and nobody wants that.
>
> Sorry, though, I don't know the answer to your question.
>
> --
> "If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
>      -- Windows 95 BSOD
>
> Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com
>
> Please always Cc to me when replying to me on the lists.

Yeah - I wasn't actually advocating this to anyone, I was just saying
that that's how you would do it if you had weighed up the pros and
cons and decided to do it.  I believe the -march=i586 could make the
code non-runnable on 3/486s, so it's certainly not one for the
package maintainers ...

Personally, I use the 386-compiled standard debian packages, and they
do me just fine !

--
Regards,
Paul