Quake is choppy (potato)

Quake is suddenly choppy on my potato system.  I had this problem a long
time ago, then it went away, and now it came back.

Note that it happens:
	- In both QuakeWorld and Normal Quake (both X11 and svgalib versions)
	- Even with the -nosound option.
	- Intermittently
	- Test map: Team Fortress: 2fort5r.bsp

Anyone else with the same problem or advice on fixing it?
--
"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
     -- Windows 95 BSOD

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://www.redrival.com/dlitz/spamoff.html
GnuPG Public Key:   http://www.redrival.com/dlitz/gpgkey.asc
     Fingerprint:   0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5 695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0