Re: Dialout group

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 07:59:10PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Dwayne C . Litzenberger writes:
> > Personally, I use sudo for pon.  That way, I can not only control who can
> > control my PPP interface, but I can control what they can do with them.
> > (ie. cli parameters)
>
> Do you know that many pppd options cannot be given on the command line by
> non-root users?

Exactly.  sudo allows you to specify what commands can be run, along with
the arguments they are allowed to give those commands.  So there's no
security loss here, just a gain in flexibility.

--
"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
     -- Windows 95 BSOD

Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

Advertising Policy: http://www.redrival.com/dlitz/spamoff.html
GnuPG Public Key:   http://www.redrival.com/dlitz/gpgkey.asc
     Fingerprint:   0535 F7CF FF5F 8547 E5A5 695E 4456 FB6C BC39 A4B0