Re: [potato] gdm doesn't start windowmanager

Nico De Ranter wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I don't know whether this is the correct mailinglist to post
> this but anyway...
>
> I upgraded my Debian box to unstable and installed gdm. Unfortunately
> when I try to login the screen flickers a few times and the gdm screen
> pops back.  When I start X by typing startx from a text console
> everything works fine.  I noticed this problem on a few PC's that
> have been upgraded to potato so I think it's a bug and not a misconfiguration.

what does your ~/.xsession-errors   file say after gdm does this?  It should
give us an idea of what's happening so we can help solve the problem...
the symptom you list just means that, for some reason, X is unable to load
its WM, or has some other error that ends the session.  It could be a number
of things.

--Evan