Re: XScreensaver locks up whole system.

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 11:06:18AM +1000, Dan Everton wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 10:22:49AM +1000, Dan Everton wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 01:21:03PM -0500, Stephen Pitts wrote:
> > > Kinda offtopic suggestion, but rebuild your kernel with
> > > the "magic SysReq" key option, then Alt-SysRq-K will
> >
> > Well, unfortunately, magic sysrq is already compiled in and did nothing.
> > Tried everything from Alt-SysRq-K to Alt-SysRq-l. Nothing.
Wow..it really crashed hard.

> Well, after following the debugging procedure outlined above I've got
> nothing. Basically, the program refuses to crash unless it's being displayed
> by the xserver (xserver-svga 3.3.3.1-10). It can run just fine for ages
> while the X server is not on screen, but as soon as I switch back to the
> xserver, the whole systems locks (if I happen to catch the penetrate program
> in it's end of level display).
>
> Any other hints?

Try running gdb over a telnet connection. If you want to get really into
it, printout the source for penetrate and start setting breakpoints.
Narrow down what is actually happening and where (in the code) it locks
the system. Then, trace that back up the chain of command into the
xserver (possibly rebuild X with -g..damn that would take a long time!).

Because the Linux kernel is not known for causing system lockups, I
would use Norton Diagnostics or something to run a full memory check.

Personally, I can't reproduce your bug. I'm using kernel 2.2.7 and the
custom-compiled X server provided by nVidia. Penetrate runs quite nicely,
though I prefer xmatrix :-)
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com