Re: XScreensaver locks up whole system.

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 01:21:03PM -0500, Stephen Pitts wrote:
> Kinda offtopic suggestion, but rebuild your kernel with
> the "magic SysReq" key option, then Alt-SysRq-K will

Well, unfortunately, magic sysrq is already compiled in and did nothing.
Tried everything from Alt-SysRq-K to Alt-SysRq-l. Nothing.

> kill all prorams on the current VC. Running xscreensaver
> in the gdb debugger will let you find out where
> it crashed and what might have caused the crash.

It's not actually xscreensaver that causes the crash. It's one of the
programs that comes with it called "penetrate". It's a screensaver that
simulates a game of Missile Command (oh nostalgia).

> Try this:
> 1. Use "apt-get source xscreensaver" to download
> the xscreensaver source. You'll also need the
> lesstif dev package.
> 2. Rebuilt xscreensaver with debugging info
> Adding 'export CFLAGS=-g' right above the first
> ./configure line in debian/rules should work.
> should work.
> 3. Startx and switch to another virtual console.
> Log in as the user that started the x server,
> and type "export DISPLAY=:1". Then start
> xscreensaver with "gdb xscreensaver".
> 4. Type "run args", where args are the command
> line arguments to xscreensaver. Wait until
> it crashes, then use the SysRq combo to
> kill the xserver. Go back to the gdb console
> and type 'where'. That will tell you where it
> crashed.
> --
> Stephen Pitts
> smpitts@midsouth.rr.com
> webmaster - http://www.mschess.org

I'll try the above debugging stuff. But I don't know if I'll get useful
information out because the last few times I've tried to run the program, it
has locked the system so hard it doesn't respond to pings.

Dan

--
Dan Everton <z1159684@cit.gu.edu.au> | "Have you tried thinking like a shower?"
www.psynet.net/fada                  | KBHR's Chris in the Morning