*ALL* problem solved.

Silly me...

1. When I tried to mount my msdos partion I supplied blocksize=1024
   which was obsolete or something like that. (Removed it and
   everything worked.)

2. My problem with modules:
   I forgot to add the lines to /etc/modules (I finally found the
   archives for this list and found form March or April 1998 a posting
   "Modules and Debian" which described /etc/modules and
   /etc/conf.modules) and I learned that I only should add lines to
   /etc/conf.modules (i.e. add files in /etc/modutils/) if they need
   parameters. And finally: ne2k-pci don't want any parameters - it
   finds irq etc. on it's own.

Side effects:

1. Can now mount cdroms and use my cdrom-drive in Linux for the first
   time ever (installed first try [Debian 1.x] in winter 96/97 after I
   bought the computer).

2. Can now mount hpfs and read my OS/2-partion (but I cannot boot OS/2
   since it is "slightly" broken so what's the use? But I _can_ if I
   want to...).

Next project: Install my soundcard and use it for the first time. Have
owned it for 2.5 years but never inhal^H^H^H^H^Hused it. (Except in
Win31 but that doesn't count.)

/Jonas, who plan to write down his experiences - either put it on his
        homepage or send it to some HOWTO-manager, or both.
--
( Jonas Steverud  @  www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/ !    Wei Wu Wei    )
( U2MoL, Roleplaying, LaTeX, Emacs/Gnus, SCWM, etc. ! To Do Without Do )