Re: Init takes long time and what is lspci?

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 02:31:15PM +0200, Jonas Steverud wrote:

> Debian Potato.
>
> When I boot, init prints out "INIT 2.74" (?) and then it stops for
> 10-20 seconds and then continues with "NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0
> for Linux NET4.0." which takes another 5-10 seconds. Anyone who knows
> why this happens? Is it trying to get some information from somewhere
> or what? Before I changed to the 2.2.10-kernel (see other thread) this
> did not happen. Or is it perfectly normal?

Unix domain sockets are a special type of file that can be read and
written to, to gain all of the advantages of sockets without the
overhead of TCP/IP. X and its font servers use them, as well as
xmms and mysql (right off the top of my head..probably lots
of others). In the Debian kernel_image_2.2.10, unix domain sockets
are compiled in  as a module and kmod is loading them as a module
because some daemon that is starting needs them. On my system, I see
that 108 things are using unix domain sockets.

My smallest system here is a P-150, but I'll agree that there is a
noticable boot-time delay when loading this module. In discussion
right now on debian-devel is the idea of using ash instead of
bash for /bin/sh. Since ash is faster/uses less memory than bash,
it could significantly decrease the bootup time of your system.
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com