Re: Initial thoughts about Debian 2.1 (and I need some help!)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, P. van Tilburg wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 07:41:19PM -0400, Salman Ahmed wrote:
>
> > However, I still have quite a few questions that I am hoping to
> > get answered :
> >
> > (1) For console logins, how can I get the console screen to
> > be cleared after a user logs out ? RedHat 5.2 seems to do it by
> > default (ie without playing with any config files).
>
> that is done by create a file in the homedir called
>
> .bash_logout
>
> if you put in there the line:
> clear
>
> the screen will be cleared by logout...
> an advise: put that file in /etc/skel to if you want the feature
> enabled for future user-accounts you make.
You can also use the trap command. trap exit /usr/bin/clear , this is
described in the Tips-HOWTO document. You should place this line in some
file that is not shell specific, perhaps /etc/profile
> > (7) How can I get my SoundBlaster PCI128 sound card configured ?
> > Do I have to recompile the kernel for that ? Also, how do I setup/install
> > the ALSA drivers for this card (I had to use ALSA to get this sound card
> > to work with RedHat 5.2).
>
> No id, I want to know that too.
Grab the latest potato alsa-source,drivers, config and any thing else with
alsa in it in deb format of cource. install every package with dpkg -i
*.deb,  insstall any additional package thaat alsa needs. Insall the
make-kpg package may be called debian-make dont know really, go to
/usr/src/linux and configure the kernel, remeber if you have a kernel 2.2
and up you must add support for sound in the kernel but not choose any
card. when you are throug exit the confrig and write make-kpkg --revision
1 kernel-image (it is bet you check the man page first as always) then
when is finnshed write make-kpkg --revision 1 modules, thsese two commands
makes two .deb files in the /usr/src directory, install them with dpkg -i
*.deb .  then run alsaconfig and configure yoursoundcard, reboot and ta-ta
your soundcard works.

Good luck!
/nisse