Re: Help compiling my kernel

wtopa@ix.netcom.com writes:
| > 4) According to the README in /usr/src/linux, I should link as follows:
| >
| > ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386	/usr/include/asm
| > ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux		/usr/include/linux
| > ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi		/usr/include/scsi
| >
| > Problem is, I have libc6 installed, and it is installed in /usr/include.
| > Should I do the links as directed?  Or will the libc6 stuff work?
|
| Yes, follow the readme. Take a look in /usr/include, there are a lof
| of things there.  So what?

No, I don't think this is true anymore. At some point I remember
reading a post from Linus stating that doing the above steps could be
harmful to your system since, presumably, libc was compiled with
what's already in /usr/include and now you're wiping that with what's
there for a particular kernel. This could cause a conflict between the
kernel and libc, which is NOT a Good Thing (TM). He said the best
thing to do was ignore the above and not make those particular
symbolic links. I never have, and my kernels compile up and run fine.

| > 5) I seem to have three different versions of the header files.
| > Do I really
| > need them all?   I have:
| >
| > libc6 			-> /usr/include
| > libc5-altdev		-> /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/include
| > linux source	-> /usr/src/include
|
| Only if you want the system to work.

Hmm, is anything essential to Debian still linked against libc5? I'm
not sure, but I don't think so. The only thing I remember in hamm
requiring libc5 was netscape. That's not true in slink. Of course if
you try to remove libc5 it'll tell you if anything you have depends on
it.

| > 6) The kernel-package docs say I need to run:
| >
| > make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot <version>
| >
| > Do I need to do this if I compile as root?  I don't have fakeroot
| > - do I need
| > it?  Will su work instead?
| >

|  Don't know about the --rootcmd as I always make new kernels as root
| and I don't have fakeroot either.  Hope that answers your questions.

I'll second this. Never used fakeroot and have never had a problem.

Gary