Re: Help compiling my kernel

	Subject: Help compiling my kernel
	Date: Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 11:12:38PM -0500

Quoting debian-user-request@lists.debian.org(debian-user-request@lists.debian.org):

> I need some help compiling my kernel:
>
> 1) I would really rather not have to go through the config process - it is my
> hope that I can use the standard .config file with a few modifications - in
> particular, sound and APM enabled.  Can't I just use the standard .config
> file, modify a few things via an editor, and use it to recompile my kernel?
> If I do this, can I skip the make menuconfig step?

Sure you can, but I wouldn't.  Read the top of /usr/src/linux/.config.

#
# Automatically generated by make menuconfig: don't edit
#
#

config is boring, menuconfig is real easy, xconfig is easier.  None of
them are so hard that they should cause any concern.  Try one of them
and use the help feature.  You can learn a lot.

> Further, I unpacked my kernel-source package, but it doesn't contain a .config
> file, however it does contain .config.save.  Can I rename it to .config and
> use it?

Don't know about config.save.  Do an ls .config-save and see of the
selections agree with those that you want.

> 2) After I compile my kernel, say I decide to change a few things in the
> source - is there a need to redo the make menuconfig step?  Or does that
> strictly create the .config file?

You know enough to change things in the _source_??  The config file (
created by the config process) tells the compile process ( which
creates the kernel) what options you want in your kernel.

> 3) I tried to make menuconfig, but got an error:
>
> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> make -C scripts/lxdialog all
> make[1]: Entering directory 'usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.34/scripts/lxdialog'
> gcc -O2 -Wall -fomit-frame-pointer -DLOCALE  -DCURSES_LOC="<curses.h>"   -c
> lxdialog.c -o lxdialog.o
> In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
> dialog.h:29: curses.h: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [lxdialog.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.34/scripts/lxdialog'
> make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
>
> I'm guessing I need something like ncurses<xxx>-dev, right?  How come this
> isn't in the dependencies of kernel-package?

I'm not on my debian box right now but if you got kernel-source,
kernel-headers and kernel-package, yes the dependencies should have
got everything you needed, if you used deselect or apr-get to get
those packages. If you went & downloaded them yourself.....?

> 4) According to the README in /usr/src/linux, I should link as follows:
>
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386	/usr/include/asm
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux		/usr/include/linux
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi		/usr/include/scsi
>
> Problem is, I have libc6 installed, and it is installed in /usr/include.
> Should I do the links as directed?  Or will the libc6 stuff work?

Yes, follow the readme. Take a look in /usr/include, there are a lof
of things there.  So what?

> 5) I seem to have three different versions of the header files.  Do I really
> need them all?   I have:
>
> libc6 			-> /usr/include
> libc5-altdev		-> /usr/i486-linuxlibc1/include
> linux source	-> /usr/src/include

Only if you want the system to work.

> 6) The kernel-package docs say I need to run:
>
> make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot <version>
>
> Do I need to do this if I compile as root?  I don't have fakeroot - do I need
> it?  Will su work instead?

 Don't know about the --rootcmd as I always make new kernels as root
and I don't have fakeroot either.  Hope that answers your questions.

Have you ever tried reading the Kernel-HOWTO??

HTH

--
Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach.
                -- S. C. Johnson