Re: Modem freezeup again

On Mon, Feb 01, 1999 at 09:35:58AM +0000, ktb wrote:
> I posted a couple days ago (to Debian User's) about my modem freezing up.  I got a couple
> suggestions and am now getting around to trying to solve this problem.
> The problem has increased in frequency so that every time after logging
> off using "poff" my modem can't be accessed.  I have to shut the system
> down completely (reboot won't work) and then restart before I can use "pon"
> to log on again.  In a couple instances I had to shutdown twice in
> a row before I could use my modem.

I used to have exactly that problem.  When the modem got hung up it wedged
and I couldn't get back to it.

It's probably been a year since I had to deal with it, though.  IIRC it was
a U.S. Robotics internal giving me this problem, and it has to do with
one of the RS-232 lines being held high when it should go low.
This kind of thing is apparently "remembered" in the modem's hardware, and
you have to power cycle it to make it let go.  This is one reason I wound
up going with an external modem -- at least you can cycle that SOB without
taking your whole damn machine down.

Ironically, I think my current USR external has a dip switch that has to
with the assertion of DTR.  Maybe the internals do as well, but if so you
probably have to use some DOS or Lose32 application to talk to the modem's
PROM.

Try using the different modem dialer programs (minicom, kermit, etc.).
IIRC minicom worked (hung up the modem correctly), but kermit did not.

As far as pppd itself goes, try fooling with the "local" option.

       local  Don't use  the  modem  control  lines.   With  this
              option,  pppd will ignore the state of the CD (Car­
              rier Detect) signal from the  modem  and  will  not
              change  the  state of the DTR (Data Terminal Ready)
              signal.

If local is on in your system (see /etc/ppp/options), try switching it off,
and vice versa.

If this works, PLEASE let me (and the mailing list) know.  I want
something about this stuck in every FAQ on earth that has to do with
ppp, modems, etc.  It frustrated the hell out of me when I had to deal
with it.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |      If you have the slightest bit of
Debian GNU/Linux                 |      intellectual integrity you cannot