path problems?

Hello,
I have been trying to install Window Maker on my Debian system but with no
avail. It is recommended to install the following tarballs in this order:
libPropList, WindowMaker-data, WindowMaker-0.51

The problem that I am having has to do with the WindowMaker-05.1
installation. After having ran ./configure I receive the error message
saying the following:

	Checking    X ................... no
	Checking    -lLibPropList ... no

	** LibPropList not installed!
	** Please install LibPropList

--> LibProplist is installed in /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib.
--> X-Windows is installed in /usr/X11R6 and its config files are in /etc/X11

However, I have both LibPropList and X-Windows installed and believe the
culprit to be the global path, but since i'm new to Debian Linux it's
difficult to know what is exactly happening.

---
Emil Soleyman