dpkg-source

Hi all,

I was wondering about the following. I login as root, then "cd /usr/src"
then "dpkg-source -x /mnt/cdrom/(...)/bla.dsc". I customize the source and/
or compiling-options and issue "cd bla" and "debian/rules binary" in order
to get a package bla.deb in /usr/src.

Then "dpkg -i bla.deb" and dpkg will replace any already installed binary
bla-components.

So far, everything is smooth and to my liking (I hope, I did do it
correctly, I'm still a newbie at this?)

I was wondering, what will happen, when I get another distribution and do
e.g. an "apt-get dist-upgrade", will it then replace the bla-package with
a newer version (if there is a newer version in the new distribution) or
will it leave my customized package alone?

Could anybody enlighten me?

Thanks and kind regards

Frederick