Re: Compaq Deskpro EP

Jon wrote:
>I'm just in the process of installing Debian 2.0 on a Compaq Deskpro EP
>series computer (Celeron 333MHz processor, Matrox MGA-G100 AGP graphics
>card, 64 MB Ram) and am running into trouble. I'm installing from the CD.
>Now when i boot the PC with the CD inserted, i get the boot prompt and
>press enter and linux loads. However roughly 50 percent of the time the PC
>hangs (or maybe the keyboard is unrecognised?) on the first screen of the
>installation program.
>
>Despite this, i have managed to install Debian, but again, on about 50
>percent of the boot ups, the system freezes at the login prompt. However
>the cursor is still blinking at this point, so maybe it's just that the
>keyboard not communicating?

If the mouse moves, after power-up and before the first keyboard keypress,
the keyboard locks up, aparently due to the mouse and keyboard interfaces
sharing I/O registers.  When GPM initialises, it *sometimes* comes right by
itself.  Recompiling the kernel with PS/2 mouse support built-in got rid of
the problem for me.

I think this must be a bug in the keyboard driver.

Regards,

Mark.