Re: Netscape

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 11:01:05PM +0000, hypnos wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Don Cavaiani wrote:
>
> > To get Netscape to work on X, must I download a part of it directly from
> > the Netscape web site?
>
> something about netscape's licensing (i think)
> prohibits it from being distributed with debian,
> so you have to download the actual netscape archive
> file from their web/ftp site. there's an installer
> package, however, in debian.  download the file from
> netscape's site, put it in /tmp and run the installer,
> it should take care of it.

> hypnos              <mailto:hypnos@m-net.arbornet.org>

I don't think that's correct.  Simply doing:

$ apt-get install communicator-smotif-47

ought to get you the whole shebang with statically linked motif.  Note,
you'll only get the export version which only supports 40-bit SSL.
That's probably the primary reason for going to Netscape for the binary
-- Some also have had better luck in the random bugs department this
way.  Note that the fortify package will patch Navigator to do 128-bit
SSL.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |