Re: (fqdn) hostname resolution when using DHCP

[...]
> Some more questions: I seem to be getting the same IP address through
> DHCP.

That's the way it works - each time you reboot you get the same IP until
the lease time runs out.

> After the DNS config update, I can ping this machine by using its fqdn
> hostname from a windows box. But from the machine itself, I can't ping
> the fqdn hostname.
>
> The /etc/hosts file for this machine is:
>
>  127.0.0.1   matrix localhost
>
> What should I add to this file so I can ping from the machine itself by
> giving its fqdn hostname ? I always get 192.168.9.31 as my IP address
> for this box via DHCP.

Having matrix mapped to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts isn't a good thing.  It
should look like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.9.31 matrix.<domain-name> matrix

You should also check that /etc/resolv.conf is set correctly.

> Also, is there any curses-based tool to configure network settings for a
> Debian box ?

Not that I know of.  Would a set of shell scripts help?  It'd be a good
start for a curses-based tool.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein