Re: (fqdn) hostname resolution when using DHCP

    PB>  Having matrix mapped to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts isn't a good
    PB> thing.  It should look like this:
    PB>
    PB> 127.0.0.1 localhost
    PB> 192.168.9.31 matrix.<domain-name> matrix

Ok. I will try that out tomorrow. The current line in /etc/hosts is what
was put there by the Debian install program. When I was installing
slink, I specified that the machine wasn't connected to any network.

But the second line in /etc/hosts will have to be updated/modified
whenever the DHCP lease for that IP address runs out. Is there any way
to have this process automated so that /etc/hosts is correctly updated
whenever the lease runs out ? Manually editing that file by hand seems
to be a very impractical way of accomplishing this task over the long
run.

    PB> You should also check that /etc/resolv.conf is set correctly.

I'll be checking /etc/resolv.conf but I think it contained only a line
for a nameserver (that was obtained via DHCP) and I think the default
domain.

    >> Also, is there any curses-based tool to configure network
    >> settings for a Debian box ?
    PB>  Not that I know of.  Would a set of shell scripts help?  It'd
    PB> be a good start for a curses-based tool.

Yes, a set of shell scripts that prompt for the different parameters
would be fine, too.

OTOH, I am beginning to think that maybe a static IP address for this
box might be the best thing since it won't be moving anywhere. A
curses-based tool or a set of shell scripts would be helpful if I had to
switch over to a static IP since I don't exactly what files would have
to be modified for the new network configuration.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com